September 8, 2008

Today, I woke up at 2:30 am with some back pain. I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but I couldn't go back to sleep. After a while, I realized they were coming and going. I decided to get up thinking they might be contractions. I had 5 in about a 45 minute period. After drinking some water and sitting upright for a while, they seemed to subside. I went back to bed. I got up as normal and got ready for work. Once I got to work, I noticed some pressure in my lower back area. They, too, were coming and going. I decided to call the doctor's office. They wanted to see me but I felt like I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. During my exam, it was discovered that I was starting to dilate and was already 40% effaced! She put me on the office monitor to see if they were contractions. It showed some irritability and one contraction so I was sent down to labor and delivery for better monitoring. Once I got down there and got hooked up, it was discovered that I was having REGULAR contractions. Pre-term labor to be exact! They gave me two shots to try and stop it and made me drink lots and lots of water. They slowed down enough to send me home on some medication. I was instructed to come back in if they got back to the point that they were when I came in. Interesting day!

No comments: